Sunday 6 September 2015

Review -- Down Among the Dead Men

Down Among the Dead Men

Official blurb
Jason Green's life is changed for good after he is saved from a mugging by crime boss, Harry Irwell. He is then drawn into Manchester's notorious underworld, where smash and grab is as normal as making a cup of tea. But Jason isn't a casual thug. He has a life plan that doesn't involve blowing his money on the usual trappings. That is until a woman walks into his life offering the one thing that money can't buy - salvation.

As you can see on my Goodreads profile, I have read all books by Kerry Wilkinson and have consistently rated them four or five stars for the most, my favourite series being the Jessica Daniel one.

Therefore, it was with high expectations that I sat down with a cup of tea and a couple of biccies to read my review copy of Down Among the Dead Men, Wilkinson's latest stand-alone novel.  
  
First, I need to commend the author for his ability to play around with different styles of writing and settings. While the Jessica Daniel series is largely based around good old banter and sarcasm in its tone, this latest effort is a darker thriller that reminded me of Donnie Brasco in parts: I was dragged into that underworld atmosphere where everyone is threading carefully and constantly watching their own back.    

I also particularly liked the use of flashbacks, which broke the rhythm of the narrative in an interesting manner and provided more context as to the events that shaped Jason Green's personality and now motivate his current actions.   

This might be controversial, but I found that Jason was somehow a likeable chap: Yes, he could be viewed as a violent thug but, at the same time, he seems to have principles and morals which he is not willing to compromise. And, in fairness, he hasn't been dealt with the best cards in life either.

Now, I was left wanting for more when I reached the end of the story. Even though I was quite surprised at the final twist which I admit I never saw coming, I was still slightly disappointed as to the many questions that are left open. One of those being a small thing in particular that keeps happening to Jason and gets a lot of focus throughout the narrative, but which is still left unexplained at the end. I guess I am one of those people that need everything spelled out for them at the end of a book. 

The Bibliovore's verdict ⋆⋆⋆⋆

No comments:

Post a Comment